Do Mention the War
I felt so very bored with learning in high school that WWII was bad.
The lesson plan, as far as I remember, was this:
- War happened, it was bad.
- It was bad the war happened.
- Nazis did a war, which was bad.
- Nazis did it because of racism, which is also bad.
- (English class) Poetry about how the war was bad
- 11 Million dead - bad.
I GET IT! Can we do the Romans now?
I found the half-decade of repetition insufferable, but every so often I hear from people around my generation saying ’this is just like the Nazis’, when referring to things which are definitely not like the Nazis. So I think I finally get it, and I’m retroactively happy to suffer through the boredom. At this point I’d happily sentence the entire planet to a year of mandatory education on the Nazis, just to make sure nobody can say this without knowing that everyone around them has just taken a measure of their mind, and found them wanting.